Tuesday, September 2, 2008

bow-hunters therapy

So in preparation for my upcoming mule deer hunt and deer season, I've made some upgrades to my bow. I bought a custom string, a new peep sight, and made some overall changes in how I'm shooting. I found out that when you order a new string, you can request colors! (Can I just add here that I'm probably the wrong person to let know that everything can match! I like pretty!) So everything is yellow, grey and black. Don't laugh until you see it! It is very cohesive, and pretty, and I like it.

So back to my story. When you change things on a bow, everything changes. You have to re-sight in, let your string stretch. It's a lot of work! But in the chance of disaster, you have a fully sighted in back-up string ready to shoot. I changed my string just a few weeks ago, and since haven't been shooting well at all. I went from shooting a three shot group that could fit in a quarter, to not being able to group. This might not sound like any big deal, but for me, this is HUGE! Noah has been so great. He's spent all week working with me, trying to get me fixed. I changed everything from how I grip the bow, my anchor point, my body stance, we moved my sight pins, nothing worked. This was the most frustrating week of my year. I'm not the most emotional person, but I have to admit. I cried like a baby a few times.
Nothing I've tried felt right and I was starting to worry that if whatever was wrong didn't get fixed. I was not going to chance taking a shot that I didn't feel was ethical or that I felt I couldn't make or control. So today, I took some things for Noah out to the bow shop we use. Jerid Lawrence was asking how everything was going, if I was ready to hunt, yada, yada, yada. I just unloaded on the poor guy! I pulled up a chair, poured out my little heart, teared up and just about bawled! He's obviously married, because he didn't run screaming for the door. He told me to get my bow and let him see what was wrong. So he gave it a look over and noticed that it was off in a few places. We re-sighted in my peep, adjusted my loop, and then had to re-seat my sight. After all of this was finished, he had me shoot at some targets and low and behold! Everything works, I'm shooting awesome groups again, my broad heads are dialed in, and I'm ready to go hunting!
I feel like I've been to a therapy session. Jerid gave me some breathing exercises to try while I'm shooting. He fixed my bow, I cried, and a huge weight has been lift from my chest and I feel great! I'm quite positive He was relieved when I finally walked out of his place without falling completely apart.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm sort of with Hannah on this one. I won't go so far as to call you a dork, but I do love that another blogger has been born. I added you to the links on my page. Now, my 3 readers will be able to see that Hannah thinks you're a dork.