Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My after Thanksgiving day Turkey

Well, I'm still deer hunting! I've gritted my teeth and passed on some deer that at the end of the season, I'm liable to regret passing on. My problem seems to be that I have seen the deer that I would like to take, but haven't gotten a shot or seen Him since.
I did shoot a turkey a few days after Thanksgiving. He was a big old bird! I'd seen him a few times and he was mean! He chased some smaller bucks one cold morning. It was pretty cool!as well as one of those things you don't see every day.
The morning I shot him was pretty cold! I look like a small child bundled up in every single piece of camo clothing that Noah and I own. My arms don't go all the way down to my side, they just sort of stick out to the sides a bit. So it was cold, I shot him and after waiting a little bit to go collect my prize, I walked down to pick up this turkey. He was laying head on the ground, not breathing, DEAD!! On the ground DEAD! I grabbed his leg, and rolled him over to grab the other one and this thing jumped up! Feathers flying everywhere, Me still holding one leg, and took off running! Luckily, I'm only 26 so I didn't immediately have a heart attack. but I was screaming loud enough that the land owner could hear me a mile and a half away! They always say your first will always be the most memorable. Mine sure was!

1 comment:

The Mize of Texas said...

You had me laughing out loud! I can just imagine you screaming hysterically! Especially, since I know just how scared you are of big birds...