Saturday, December 13, 2008

Tree Hunting

So this is a little bit delayed, in that our tree stands have been up for months! But I just want to impress upon you the difficulty of finding the right tree. It sounds so easy in theory. Noah will tell you that the only thing I worked hard at was getting in his way. Somehow I can remain totally calm and composed, level headed, and able to do pretty much anything I want to do. But you throw us together to do a project, and I loose my mind. Between standing in the way and making him trip over me, asking 1,437 questions, telling him a better way of doing something and generally being as loud as I possibly can. Then you add Nature to the mix, I somehow always get attacked by fire ants, or small animals (seriously this really happens every time!) and I wander around taking very random pictures of things. I really am not much help, I'm more moral support you could say.



On TV if you have ever watched any hunting show, the person is always in a big tall tree and it looks like it's 40 feet to the ground from the stand. The tree normally is huge, big and fat, and straight. I thought I could just walk out, grab the first tree that I came to, climb up and wha-laa!




















I didn't take into consideration that I live in Central Texas! If it's not a mesquite, then it's a live oak and maybe if you're really lucky, a real oak. None of those types are very tall, straight or huge. So finding one that meets requirements, as well being where a deer trail cuts close to or passes around is not always easy. Luckily my husband is awesome! He takes a long time picking a tree, setting up the stand and clearing shooting lanes. But I have never fallen out of one, had problems getting into it, or had a branch in my way. I have had a squirrel jump almost on me, a Racoon climb up the tree and onto my stand with me to get away from a bobcat, and an army of tree ants crawl inside my clothes. But that couldn't be avoided, I think I have bad luck. Noah found some really good spots this season.



You might have noticed that Noah is in all these shots. Like I said, I wander and take random pictures. He was the only one of us working.










1 comment:

The Mize of Texas said...

Your two nature shots look really cool! You really have to blog your accident! You should also tell the story of that raccoon coming after you...THat one was pretty funny!